Financial customer protectionPrint
As specified in its Statute, the Magyar Nemzeti Bank’s key function is to create a conscious consumer society, to mitigate the risks and damages arising from incorrect consumer decisions, thereby improving Hungary’s financial culture. To that end, the MNB has created a unified information system, and a nationwide network of advisory offices while pursuing a complicated set of activities.
Created to provide consumer protection information, useful in everyday life, in an effective, easy-to-understand manner, the copyrighted set of instruments, named Pénzügyi Navigátor (Financial Navigator) is comprised of an informative booklet series, one-minute, short and longer educational video clips, a website, search fields facilitating product choice, comparative and mobile applications. The informative materials discuss current topics related to financial products, services, compiled on the basis of real-life situations, and give reactions to market developments of great public interest.
Administration in person, complaint management
Complaints of financial nature must be submitted to the service provider first. Consumer petitions may be sent to the Magyar Nemzeti Bank in the event
- that no reply is received to the complaint submitted to the financial institution within 30 days, and if the complaint is related to payment service and the service provider fails to send a full or a temporary reply
- within 15 business days after the complaint was submitted and
- no final reply is received within 35 business days to the complaint,
- the financial service provider sends no reply to the complaint at all,
- the reply is not relevant or complete and the institution did not manage or investigate the complaint in a consistent manner with legislative regulations
- based on the financial service provider’s reply other unlawful activity can be assumed (e.g. failure to meet the obligation of providing information).
The petition can be submitted in person, at the Magyar Nemzeti Bank’s customer service office in Budapest (1122 Budapest, Krisztina krt. 6.), or by post (1534 Budapest, BKKP Postafiók: 777.). The documents, proving an attempted settlement of the complaint by the financial service provider, should also be attached.
Our colleagues at the MNB’s Customer Service do not only offer assistance in managing complaints: they can be consulted should you have any questions or problems related to finance.
Monday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Tuesday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Wednesday: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Thursday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Toll free: +36 (80) 203 776
Financial Navigator Advisory Office Network
In order to enhance the public’s financial culture, the MNB operates the Financial Navigator Advisory Office Network in 18 county seats. The offices are operated by civil society organisations, which are independent of financial institutions and service providers. The advisers give unbiased, professional and free financial advice for consumers in person, on the phone as well as electronically and by post. The objective of the advisory service, which is under the MNB’s continuous professional control, is to allow consumers to request an independent expert opinion before their financial decisions as well as to receive assistance in drafting and submitting official documents, applications and complaint letters.