Arrival in Budapest
Ferenc Liszt Airport is the international airport of Budapest located approximately 25 km from the city centre and from MNB. The airport has two terminals: 2A, which serves all Schengen destinations, 2B, which serves all non-Schengen destinations.
Transfer from the airport
Főtaxi is the official taxi company of Ferenc Liszt Airport, but for the airport transfers there is a single fare system for each taxi companies in Budapest, calculated per km.
The estimated fare to the inner city is appr. Huf 6,000-7,000 and appr. HUF 10,000 to the Buda site. http://fotaxi.hu/Read/200/Tariff%20Table#main-menu There is a Fotaxi desk at both terminals where you can order a Fotaxi, as well as ask for the fare. Travel time is 35-45 minutes, depending on the traffic.
2. Airport Minibus
Airport Minibus is a kind of collective taxi with a boarding capacity of 8 to 10 passengers. The minibuses handle transfers from the airport to the passenger's accommodation back and forth. Airport Minibus Desks can be found at both terminals. Tickets can be purchased at the arrival customs area or at the LRI Airport Passenger Service desk in the waiting area. You can pay by cash and by credit card. Transfer from the airport to a hotel takes approximately 1 hour depending on traffic.
Bus No 200E from the airport to Kőbánya-Kispest Metro Station (ticket from the driver costs HUF 450). From "Kőbánya-Kispest" Metro Station take M3 Metro to "Arany János utca" stop (if your destination is MNB, or Hotel Parlament).
To get to the K+K Hotel Opera take off from M3 at "Deak ter" change for M1 metro (yellow line) until "Opera".
Metro tickets are sold at the entrance of metro stations. For tickets and passes visit: http://www.bkk.hu/en/prices/
From MNB it is a short walk to
- House of Parliament(5 min), to
- St Stephen's Cathedral(3 min) and to the
- Downtown of Budapest (1 Blue Metro stop until 'Deak ter'). The promenade -"Korzó" in Hungarian- is located along the Danube bank (5 min. walk from Deak ter Metro station). Here you can enjoy the nice view of 'Buda' and the Royal Palace on the right side of the Danube River.
Other favourite destinations by the tourists are:
- Heroes' Square and the Municipal Park -transport: M1 Metro until Hosok tere stop or to Szechenyi furdo stop. (Millenium Monument, Museum of Fine Arts, Art Gallery, the 110 year old ice skating ring, boating pond in summer, the Zoo, Vajdahunyad Castle, Szechenyi bath.
- The Castle district (Royal Castle, Fishermen's Bastion, Matthias Church, Museums, Funicular: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budapest_Castle_Hill_Funicular
- Synagogue of Budapest in Dohany utca the largest in Europe
For those wishing to prolong their stay in Hungary and in Budapest, we recommend:
Sightseeing tour in Budapest - the services of EUrama Travel Agency . Quality full and half day tours for individual tourist. Leaflets published by travel agencies specializing in city sightseeing tours around Budapest are available from hotel reception desks and information offices.
Shipping tours in Budapest: Legenda
Visiting Suburban towns
Szentendre - a pictoresque village of Serbian origin from the 17th century, located to the north of Budapest.
Eating out in near-by restaurants
Cafe Kör - Hungarian Cuisine
Trattoria Pomo d’Oro - Italian
Jogging - on Margaret Island (appr.5,4 kms jogging course)
Fittness facilities - in the basement of Bank Center, (Szabadság tér 7.)
Swimming pools&baths: Széchenyi bath (at M1, yellow underground szechenyi furdo station)
Hungary’s electricity network operates at 220/230 Volts. Plugs are the regular continental type.
Budapest is on Central European time: GMT + 1, (GMT + 2 hours during summer time)